I said in my review of A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) that Freddy’s Dead is better then it. Watching the film again I realise…it is a very close thing.
Seriously the plotting in this film is amazing. Here is a quick rundown.
- A boy escapes Springwood
- Its a dream
- Freddy throws him out of Springwood anyway
- He turns up with memory loss and Police kidnap him to avoid the paperwork!!!
- Oooh look a clipping from springwood, lets tell the Police…oh hang on, no we wont, we will investigate ourselves.
- Springwood is weird, ooh look stowaways.
- Rip off Children of the Corn
- Lets visit the school.
- Oh look its Freddy we must stop him (seriously who the fuck is Freddy and why do these people take him so seriously?)
- A few ironic deaths
- How lucky that my escapee child stumbled upon my Daughter who I can apparently leave Springwood with.
- Black Guy: Lets get Freddy (bloody hell this guy IS well known!)
- Gratuitous 3D gimmick.
I can’t begin to even quanity the liberties that this film takes with narrative flow. Things seem to happen because the script said so. Perhaps that is it? Maybe the protagonist had a copy of the script? Maybe they had seen Dream Warriors, otherwise how did Tracy know she would have superpowers in a dream? When people try to run away from a secure home you off course send them back unsupervised. Hell you even give them a van to use? Can you really levitate in a dream? When i dream I am flying does that really happen…wowzers? Hang on, this house we have just entered bears no resemblance to the one we walked into.
This is the deaf kid…Ironic eh?
The film even has the conceit to use the exact same “pull him out of the dream” method used in the first film. Arrrrggghhhhhh. I take it back. The new film is way better then this utter, utter, utter shit.